In an era where concerns about air quality are mounting, the significance of ensuring clean, fresh air within our homes cannot be overstated. With pollution levels escalating, the need for effective air purification systems has become paramount. Air purifiers have swiftly transitioned from being merely optional to indispensable appliances, safeguarding us against pollutants, allergens, and other airborne contaminants that jeopardize our well-being.
Navigating through the myriad of air purifiers available in today’s market can be an overwhelming ordeal. Each device boasts its own set of features and promises, making the selection process a daunting task for consumers. However, fear not, for in this comprehensive review, we embark on a journey to dissect the top 10 air purifiers meticulously. By delving into their unique attributes and capabilities, our aim is to empower you, the consumer, with the knowledge needed to make a discerning choice that aligns seamlessly with your requirements.
Let’s embark on this enlightening exploration together, as we unravel the mysteries surrounding these essential guardians of air purity, guiding you towards a cleaner, healthier indoor environment.
Best Air Purifiers Review
1. LEVOIT Air Cleaner with True HEPA Filter AIR PURIFIER
Perfect for both babies and the elderly, this Levoit model comes with its own built-in night light that has two settings you can choose between based on the amount of light that you need. It has three filter stages that can make you breathe with ease and remove odors from your home at the same time. Those layers include products designed to kill germs, catch particles and trap odors.
As it has a higher pollution rate setting, this model removes more particles in less time than it would take others. Levoit made this a compact model that will fit in more places around a home.
- Has a built-in night light with two settings
- Works on common odors and particles
- Eliminates up to 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns
- Must use manufacturer filters that last for six months or less
- Runs very loudly when setting up
2. GermGuardian AC4825 22 inch 3-in-1 Full Room Air Purifier
As a 3-in-1 model, this unit from GermGuardian will remove more of the particles in your home because it has three separate filters built inside. It moves the air through a filter made of activated carbon, then a HEPA filter and finally a UV-C light filter. Each stage in the process cleans the air, removes particles and odors and kills any germs.
Capable of working on small particles that are only 0.3 microns in size, this product kills mold spores and germs while trapping odors inside. You can quickly change the filter later. This tower fan model has three speeds too.
- Removes spores and particles as small as 0.3 microns from the air
- Works well at removing odors caused by smokers, pets and cooking
- Uses three separate filters to remove more particles and odors
- Warranty requires that you pay shipping costs for repairs
- Runs louder than other models
3. OION Technologies B-1000 Permanent Filter Ionic Air Purifier
The B-1000 is one of the few products that uses negative ions when cleaning the air in your home, which allows it to target particles that are only 0.01 micros on size. It uses less than eight kilowatts of power too and can help you save on energy bills. As it runs so silently, this model will never interfere with your peace and quiet.
A built-in purification fan works well at removing the particles that move through the filter. You can use this one in your bedroom or a nursery too because it features a built-in night light that you can turn on and off during the day and night.
- Uses little energy to run
- Negative ions allow it to remove particles down to .01 microns
- Runs almost completely silently
- Releases a small amount of ozone into the environment
- May not last as long as you need
4. hOmeLabs 3-in-1 Compact Ionic HEPA Air Purifier
Save time and money with a 3-in-1 model like this one from HomeLabs, which will do three things at the same time. One of the four filter stages that this product has will target the odors in the air, but the other filters will kill bacteria and germs while trapping particles let behind by any pets or smokers in your home. This product has an odor eliminator that specifically targets pet smells.
Though it only works in spaces of 50 square feet or less, it uses negative air ions to improve the scent of your home and to make it smell fresher. This model will work on particles of just 0.3 microns.
- Compact size lets it fit in any space
- Uses four filters to remove odors, germs and particles
- Comes with a feature that specifically targets pet odors and dander in the air
- Doesn’t pick up as many particles as other similarly priced models do
- Only works in spaces of 50 square feet in size
5. Blueair Classic 205 Air Purifier
The Blueair Classic runs so quietly that you can use it in your nursery without worrying about the sound waking up your baby. Designed to work on most common particles found in homes today, it features true HEPA filters that remove up to 99.97% of particles that range from pet dander and dust to mildew and mold spores. With three different fan speeds, you can increase or decrease its speed.
Suitable for use in smaller rooms, the Classic cleans the air in spaces of up to 279 square feet. It is also WiFi enabled, works with the company’s own app and is compatible with both the Alexa and Echo.
- Removes 99.97% of common particles found in homes
- HEPA filter system cleanses the air
- Compatible with Amazon devices like the Alexa and Echo
- Doesn’t remove most odors unless you purchase a different filter
- Only works in smaller spaces and not larger rooms
6. Holmes Small Room 3-Speed HEPA Air Purifier
Though this desktop model only works in spaces of around 109 square feet or less, it has a compact design from Holmes that keeps it from getting in your way when used on a table or desk. It has two knobs on the top that control the fan speed and the settings to help you more easily get it running. This is one of the only models that you can use on a vertical or horizontal orientation too.
In addition to coming with three fan speeds, it also has a built-in ionizer that helps the product remove more particles. You can use this one to remove smaller particles caused by the pet dander and other allergens floating through your home. A HEPA filter inside works on common allergens and removes more than 99% of those particles.
- HEPA filter works on more than 99% of allergens and pollutants
- Works on both a horizontal and vertical orientation
- Top switches make it easy to operate
- May worsen allergy symptoms in some users
- Runs very loudly
7. Fitiger Refrigerator Purifier,Intelligent Air Purifier
The Refrigerator is one of the only models on the market that will actually work inside a refrigerator or anywhere else in your kitchen. When set up and used properly, it can extend the life of the fresh produce that you bring home because it breaks down the gases that those items produce. You can use it any other small space like next to a litter box to reduce the odors of your pets.
This model comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery that will last for up to 35 days on a single charge. It sterilizes and cleans the surrounding air to kill germs and bacteria that you might not see or smell. A single button on the front controls all aspects of this model.
- Rechargeable battery inside will last for up to 35 days
- Stops the growth of bacteria and the spread of germs
- Works well in any small or tight space
- Deodorizer setting only covers a small surrounding area
- Must use the internal battery to run it
8. Gideon Electronic Plug-in Air Purifier
Even if you think you don’t have room for one of these products, you have plenty of room for the Electronic Plug-In from Gideon, which works with any outlet. A negative ion generator inside cleans and purifies the air that comes in through the top before releasing it out the sides, though you may notice that it leaves behind a slight smell. One feature kills up to 99% of the germs in your home, but another features eliminates odors in the air.
Safe for use in any homes, this plug-in model remains cool to the touch and can run 24/7 without the sides becoming hot. This product is very easy to use too because you just plug it into an outlet and let it start running.
- Removes particles from the air as well as odors and germs
- Plugs into any outlet
- Pulls polluted air in from the top and releases clean air through both sides
- Fan can produce too much noise
- May leave behind an odd smell in the air
9. Blue Pure 211 Air Purifier with Particle Filter
The Pur 211+ is a good model for use in college dorm rooms and apartments, but since it can cover 600 square feet, it may work well in your living room or another larger room too. It features a fabric filter inside that catches some of the particles and debris before pushing the air through an activated carbon filter that targets larger particles and odors. Though this model has three fan speeds, its highest setting significantly increases the noise it puts out.
Rated by Energy Star for its performance, the Pur 211+ grabs up to 99% of the particles in any room. It works effectively on cigarette smoke, pet dander and other particles.
- Works in spaces up to 600 square feet in size
- Has a high rating from Energy Star
- Features a single button for operation
- High speed increases its sound level
- Requires regular changing of the cloth filter
10. IREALIST Air Purifier 2-Speed Air Cleaner with Carbon Filter
Clearing the air in your home doesn’t require as much space as you might think because of smaller models like the IREALIST Desktop. Designed to use right on top of your home or work desk, it’s also compact enough for using on a table near your bed. The base remains steady as the top spins to purify air coming in from all directions.
The manufacturer provides you with a USB cord that you can use for charging the internal battery. It works on particles of down to two microns and removes pet dander, mold, dust and other particles from your home.
- Compact enough for using on a desk or night table
- Swivels as it works to clean air from all directions
- Comes with a USB cord for charging via your computer
Much to small to clean the air in an entire room
Must keep the internal battery charged to use it
Our Winner Is…
No matter what particles there are in your home, the LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Large Room with True HEPA Filter will remove those particles and help you breathe easier. It features real HEPA filters that work on smaller particles to remove the particles in your home that you can’t even see. It works in both smaller and larger rooms of up to 322 sq. ft. (30 mÂ²).
With 3 Stage Filtration System: Pre-filter, TRUE HEPA Filter, & Activated Carbon Filter. It removes 99. 97% of dust, pollen, smoke, odor, mold spores, and pet dander; filters particles as small as 0. 3 microns and larger air pollution of PM 2. 5. Good for stuffy nose. This model works on pet dander and other types of particles and is compatible with carbon filters available from the manufacturer that can remove odors from your air while also cleaning the air.
How to Choose the top air purifier for you home?
How Much Square Footage Does it Cover?
When shopping for one of these products, you need to pay attention to its square footage rating, which is the amount of square footage it can cover. The manufacturer should list this information clearly on the box or in the product description. You’ll find a range of between 50 square feet up to hundreds of square feet.
Smaller models are best for using in a home office or a nursery. Those that cover 400 to 600 square feet will work well in a larger room or a more open space like a home with an open layout. If you need more coverage, you’ll need to purchase multiple units or find one designed for the whole home.
Does it Come with a HEPA Filter?
The best filters available for these products are HEPA filters. HEPA filters remove more particles from the air and will work on particles of smaller sizes. Some of the newer products have a HEPA filter and one or more made from other materials.
One example is an activated carbon filter. Also called activated charcoal filters, these products use charcoal or carbon to actually absorb any bad odors that pass through. Some companies include filters with baking soda inside that can aggravate allergy symptoms in some people.
Other models use a form of light filtering such as UV-C light. This type of technology uses natural and artificial light to actually kill germs and bacteria. Some of the top models for sale use at least two different types of filters.
Will it Remove All Particles?
Manufacturers use a measurement called micron to describe the size of the particles that their products can remove from the air. Some of the smaller and cheaper models will only work on larger particles like those you can see floating through your home.
Top models now work on particles as small as 0.01 microns in size. While you may not need one that targets those smaller particles, the model you buy should work on microns of at least 0.3 in size. This ensures that it will work on pet dander and other hazards that you cannot see.
How Does it Operate?
Not all models on the market today come with an electric cord that you use with an outlet. Many now come with an internal rechargeable battery that you can charge with an outlet or a USB cord. When choosing a rechargeable option, find out how long the battery will last as some will only run for a few days or less before you need to charge the battery.