Top 6 Composting Toilet Reviews
These are the top 6 composting toilets on the market today.
1. Nature’s Head Self-Contained Composting Toilet
Nature’s Head is a leading brand when it comes to the production of compositing toilets. There is little doubt that you will enjoy using its Self-Contained Composting Toilet beginning today. The toilet is quite easy to use.
One great thing about this toilet is that it doesn’t feature a black tank. In most toilets, a black tank is provided for holding waste when you flush it. The benefit of not having this tank is that your toilet becomes easier to maintain.
Furthermore, like all other compositing toilets, you don’t need to fret about using the scare water. Due to this, many people will love to use your toilet every day. It also comes in handy since your water bill won’t hit the sky.
The other thing is that it uses no chemicals. Chemicals are usually used in black tanks toilets to reduce the smell and break down the waste material in order to drain easily.
2. Nature’s Head Dry Standard Crank Handle Composting Toilet
The second compositing toilet on our list, Standard Crank Handle, also comes from Nature’s Head. It is astonishing how you can have the time of your life when setting this toilet since it’s quite easy to assemble. And one thing, you will get step-by-step instructions on how to go about it.
After setting, you will be glad you bought this toilet for house because of its great performance. Another thing is the freedom you get when choosing the compositing material to use in your toilet – you have a variety of options. For instance, you can use coconut, sawdust, peat moss, dry leaves, or fiber.
Of important, use a material that is dry and easy and fast to compost. It is very easy to setup the compost material, even easier if you use coconut, and composes fast. The sanitation is unrivalled on the market today. Don’t fret since it doesn’t use water, in fact, be glad because you will save over 10K gallons of water per year.
3. Nature’s Head Spider Handle Composting Toilet
As we said, Nature’s Head is a popular brand in this industry and its third toilet on our list is the Spider Handle toilet. This is one of the most affordable toilets on the market today. It is more affordable that most toilets on this list.
It isn’t just about affordability; the model has been shown to work effectively when you begin to use it. With this model, you will have a toilet that works the way you have always wanted.
This compositing toilet comes with a unique handle that differentiates it from other toilets. It features a spider handle that is common in marine use. With this handle, your toilet makes a huge difference when it comes to saving your space.
You will also love that it comes with a great ventilation system, modular system, and fan. All these features come together to provide you with a superb composting toilet.
4. Sun-Mar Excel Non-Electric Self-Contained Composting Toilet
Another brand that sails with the big fishes when it comes to composting toilets is the Sun. if you are looking for a toilet that will work for you, look no further than the Excel Non-Electric Self-Contained model.
The toilet has some superb performance features that will surely work for your home starting today. The good news is that it doesn’t need power or water to operate. With this composting toilet, you save both on water and power bill – very cheap.
The model also doesn’t lead to smelly odors in your home. It is 100% odor free as long as it is functioning effectively. The toilet features two unique bins: one for liquid waste and the other for solid material. The solid waste bin should be emptied at least once per month if there are two or more people using it.
Another thing you might love about this toilet is that it decomposes your toilet paper too. And. It is compact, saving you space.
5. Separett Villa 9210 DC/AC
This composting toilet is highly-held by the off-grid community as a quality electric toilet. Its fan can easily be switched from AC to DC supply that a solar panel, wind turbine, or battery pack can provide. Likewise, you can easily turn it back to AC mode.
The toilet comes with a unique pressure-sensitive seat. Immediately you sit on it, it will automatically open the covered solid material bin. Furthermore, it rotates the bin to ensure that the material is mixed. That’s a great help when it comes to decomposing the material.
Hence, unlike other compositing toilets that use a handle, this toilet does this automatically. With no handle required, the toilet is pretty compact and save you save. Hence, you can easily use it in a tiny washroom.
Actually, the toilet is well-designed and provides the right sturdy. Emptying the bin is also very easy, unlike other electric toilets which complicate the process.
6. Sun-Mar Compact Self-Contained Composting Toilet
The second model from Sun-Mar that has made it on our list is the Compact Self-Contained Composting Toilet. First, you will not use water to operate it and it uses the normal house power to run effectively.
Different studies have shown than the toilet is 100% non-polluting because of its effective operations. When you see such a statement, you can rest assured of having a smell-free bathroom when you install this toilet.
Moreover, the composting toilet was made to function as your primary toilet. That means that it can easily hold waste for three people in a home setting. It is also ideal for campers since it is easy to carry around.
Another great thing about this toilet is that the manufacturer provided the toilet with some superb supplies that you will require when setting it up. This makes it easier to set-up compared to most toilets on the market today.
Kinds of Composting Toilets
Composting toilets come in two basic kinds:
- Self-contained –The composting unit is also part of your toilet.
- Toilets – The composting unit is kept away from your toilet.
To operate, a composting toilet requires a power supply to run its fan and remove excess odor and gasses. Some models come with a heating system to speed up the process of decomposing the material.
Power can easily be supplied via a car’s 12v system or via a normal 110v main supply. Actually, some toilets come with electric supplied through solar cells, ensuring that they are independent of external water or power need.
There are other models of composting toilets but they depend on the natural decomposition process and many people don’t like them.
Benefits of Composting Toilet
Composting toilets present a multitude of advantages that can significantly enhance various aspects of our lives and the environment. These benefits encompass:
- Water Conservation: One of the most prominent advantages is their ability to dramatically reduce water usage. Unlike traditional flush toilets, composting toilets do not require water for flushing, which not only conserves this precious resource but also lowers water bills.
- Minimized Wastewater Disposal: Traditional toilets generate wastewater that needs to be treated and disposed of. Composting toilets, on the other hand, eliminate the need for wastewater disposal altogether, contributing to a cleaner environment and reducing the strain on sewage systems.
- Versatile Placement: Composting toilets are versatile in their placement options. They are not restricted by the availability of plumbing infrastructure, making them perfect for new construction sites or remote areas where traditional sewage systems may be impractical or costly to install.
- Energy Efficiency: Composting toilets operate with minimal power requirements, resulting in energy savings and lower electricity bills. This eco-friendly aspect aligns with sustainable living practices and reduces the environmental footprint of conventional sewage treatment processes.
- Environmental Friendliness: Beyond these practical benefits, composting toilets also have a positive impact on the environment. They facilitate the conversion of human waste into valuable compost, enriching the soil with essential nutrients and organic matter.
- Odor Control: Modern composting toilets are designed with effective odor control mechanisms, ensuring a pleasant and odor-free experience for users.
- Sustainable Living: By embracing composting toilets, individuals can actively contribute to sustainable living practices, reducing their overall environmental impact and promoting responsible resource management.
Best Composting Toilet FAQs
Q: What are composting toilets?
A: These are the type of toilets that use no or little water to flush the waste material away. Instead, the waste is usually mixed with sawdust or moss and left to decompose into fertilizer through the aerobic process.
These toilets are mainly found in places with little or no water and no connection with the drainage system. Furthermore, they are quite practical alternatives for use on your boat, RV, and when camping.
Q: How do these toilets work?
A: The theory behind these toilets is quite simple. The waste matter is left to decompose just like garden material in your composter. The major difference is the material that is composted. For it to work, three things need to happen: water needs to evaporate, odor to dissipate, and the environment need to be suitable for the process to take place.
Q: Why should I buy a composting toilet?
A: The benefits of composting toilets include: saving water, saving money, very efficient, add value to your home, and environmentally friendly. Hence, get the ideal composting toilet for your home.
Q: Do composting toilet smell?
A: There is no smell in a bathroom having a waterless composting toilet. In fact, they produce less smell than a normal toilet since they remove the odor through ventilation.
Q: Can I install a composting toilet by myself?
A: Yes. With the basic handyman ability, you can easily install this toilet by yourself. However, some states require a registered professional to do this for you.
Q: How does a composting toilet differ from other toilets?
A: These toilets differ from other toilets in that they don’t use water to flush the waste. They are economical and are environmentally friendly.
Q: Is a composting toilet perfect for me?
A: This will depend if the area you want to install this toilet allows it. But this is a great toilet that offers a lot of benefits.
In search of the top composting toilet? Look for one that conserves water and lowers your utility costs. With such a toilet, you’ll not only save on water consumption but also create your own fertilizer at home. To find a reliable composting toilet, consider any of the models we’ve discussed above.